Who has the right to have their child educated in French ?
Any Canadian citizen has the right to have their children educated in French; if:
- their first language learned and still understood is French;
- they received their primary school instruction in French in Canada, following a French, first-language curriculum;
- one of his or her children is receiving or has received primary or secondary school instruction in Canada, following a French first-language curriculum.
(Section 23 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms)
If you are a parent who meets one of these criteria, you are by definition an "entitled parent". There are other situations which could qualify your children to attend one of the 21 schools of the CSAP.
Some children of non-entitled parents might be admitted to a CSAP school after approval by the local admission committee. The quality of education and the Acadian character of each region must at all costs be safeguarded when children of non-entitled parents are considered for admission in a CSAP school. The local admission committee must respect the following categories:
- A child whose parents are Canadian citizens and whose grandparents (at least one) speak French (or spoke French while living), providing that the parents commit themselves to actively promote the French language during the child’s school years.
- A child, whose parents are not Canadian citizens, who speaks, reads and writes French according to the requirements of his or her grade level and who lives in a house where French is spoken. Parents of that child will become entitled parents as soon as they obtain Canadian citizenship.
- A student participating in an international student exchange program, who speaks, reads and writes French according to the requirements of his or her grade level.
- A child of a biological parent who is not an entitled parent and who is living with a Canadian citizen who is an entitled person.
Do not hesitate to contact us for any information :
Mr. Jerry Thibeau, Regional Director - Central region (Halifax Metro, Truro, Greenwood, Bridgewater) ....433-7046 Transportation: 1-877-232-3655
Mr. Brent Surette, Regional Director - Southwest region (Clare and Argyle).......................... 769-5480 Transportation - Eric Pothier: 902-769-5477
Mr. François Rouleau, Regional Director - North-East region (Cape Breton and Pomquet) ......................... 226-5235 Transportation: 1-877-232-3655
Other informations :
Our schools (click)
Our administrative offices (click)
Grandir en français : A pre-primary program in French is offered in all regions. Please contact Mr. Jerry Thibeau for more information : 902-433-7045.
Eligible children are those who will be turning 4 years old on or before December 31.
The mission of Conseil scolaire acadien provincial
The Conseil scolaire acadien provincial undertakes to offer the Acadian population of Nova Scotia an education in French that is recognized for excellence and for its contribution to the global development of the individual and to fostering the maintenance and growth of the Acadian culture.